There are two options you can choose from to achieve the Chef activity badge.
- Plan a full, balanced menu for a group of Explorers or other people on a residential experience covering all meals for at least four days. You should consider what facilities will be available to you – will you have access to a full kitchen or are you cooking on an open fire?
- Budget for your menu and assist with shopping for the ingredients.
- Demonstrate proper storage and cooking. You should demonstrate your knowledge of hygiene in the kitchen and how to prevent food poisoning.
- Cook and serve your planned menu, demonstrating preparation and serving skills.
- Bake and cost the following from scratch – no packet mixes or pre-made shop bought ingredients allowed:
- Three different large cakes (20cm or bigger) with different icings and decoration, using techniques like rubbing in, creaming, melting and whisking
- A sweet or savoury tart, such as a quiche or a tarte tatin
- 12 iced and filled cupcakes
- 12 biscuits, iced using the flooding method
- 12 scones
- A loaf of bread using yeast
- 12 flatbreads
- Demonstrate how planning and preparation can make life easier when baking
- Maintain high standards of hygiene You can gain two Chef badges by completing both options.